Monday, January 10, 2005

No Corners

Hey me,

The thought of the day is on the well-rounded individual. I have always taken pride on the fact that I think I am one of the more well-rounded acquaintances one can make in a lifetime. Not to say I'm a complete renaissance man, because I think that that person should be good at everything he takes up, but I definitely try to dabble in activities from every facet of life.

I regularly workout, read educational literature, keep up on the news, spend time with friends, find time for videogames, keep in regular touch with the family, and try to please the bosses on a daily basis (all while trying to go to bed by 11PM on workdays).

Why do we tell people that doing all of this is the way to get the most out of life? "Don't waste a moment because you may regret it later." What the crap is that? :). I mean honestly giving a half-hearted effort on a myriad of things so that you think you are busy or do a lot is just fooling yourself.

In that instance, nobody thinks you're great, when people know you they generally know you for a "thing" or something that they notice you do, but hardly ever is it for all of the simple and complicated things that make you you, or that you put effort into doing.

I used to think it was great that I didn't become one of the stereotypical computer nerds when I began my life as a computer science major in college. While other people are busy investing half of their lifetime building up alternate personas in hyperspace (Everquest, Worlds of Warcraft), I spent time trying to meet new people, exercising, growing closer to God.

I never regret for a moment doing all of those different things, but you have to wonder what the best approach is. Maybe a person should become unilateral in their personal affairs, and just become really really good at one or two different things. It is only then that a person really becomes "famous", because they are better than everyone else at one cool thing, it is very rare that you ever hear of someone being the best at more than one thing, so why does everyone try?

I'm pretty sure I could master something simple like peeling potatoes (actually I quite enjoy it, it relaxes me), but then the challenge comes of making peeling potatoes really cool. I mean some people genuinely respect and value what I say, but I think I would have a hard time even convincing them that it was an activity worth vesting their interest in. Oh well, I guess I can just wait until TV begins to cover more worthwhile events.

A philosophical question remains on whether choice is really better or not. I feel guilty for offering one in the last sentence, but when presenting the uninformed with alternatives where the consequences are not known, and the benefits not fully realized, how can we ever decide what's best. Compulsiveness sets in at some point in the equation, but when, and where do we satisfice?

I have always wished there was more than one life on earth to live, and yes it's because I enjoy many things here, and I do wish I could try to be many different people, given the opportunity. Maybe I think that because I have not yet seen why the path that I am taking is the best for me in my lifetime, and that living another life would not be worth it because of all the good things that will come from this one.

Wow, at least that's a positive thought to go to sleep on.

Cheerio.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Larry,

I never knew. I’m not even sure how to react yet. One thing I will say is: Since the Second time I met you :) I realized what an amazing well rounded person you are and I’m pretty sure I’ve started to explain to you how great you really are before. I’m sure that everyone that meets you sees that. And I like the way you are and I wouldn’t want you to change for anything, and its really awesome to see little surprises like this though, it makes you even more amazing.