Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Good Day

Hey yo,

How do you decide when a day has been a good day? Is it a comparison to other recent days you've just been through? Is there a certain percentage of good that has to happen to outweigh the bad? It's certainly not a pure number of events, because definitely one really crappy moment or important thing can 'ruin' a day, or make even the worst day good.

On any scale, I'd have to say today was a good day. Things at work went pretty well, I didn't have any unforeseen bad things happen to me, and I am still alive and able to post to this piece of crap blog, so I must be doing something right. I can see the stress level of the near future going down, which in any sense is good because it has been too high lately.

Measuring good days is very relative. I have to admit that I personally hate relativism. I hate that a lot of people don't find a common yardstick to rule what is right and what's wrong, and that we try to assume there is a collective moralism that helps us judge that, when we know we will trump it depending on our mood and if we can find something relative to excuse us from adhering to it.

However, good days are a certain relativism I can be glad for, because even though I cannot pinpoint what brings the smile to my face or takes my attention away from some bad things in life, I definitely feel good on the inside enough to know that it's not as bad as another day, and is in fact a much better one.

Why do people get mad? I had a psychologist ask me one time why I did not get mad after a certain event which I assume normally makes people mad. That question was what upset me. What good does it do a person to get mad? Do actual results come from that? I found it funny for a person that is supposed to help someone with things they are going through, to tell her client that he should get mad. I instantly felt like the smarter person in the room and that I was going to get no help there.

Why? Because intelligence is definitely rooted in logic and with logic a determined peace. I have vowed to myself to always try to make sense of a conflict I have with another person, and to try to use any understanding I get to resolve that with the person. Now, unfortunately this theory doesn't apply very well when a person is mad at me, because I can't avoid laughing my head off at inopportune times and probably making a situation worse. That isn't to say I wouldn't try to work with them to help them be less mad at me, I just don't understand madness enough to be sensitive to it, and so I make things worse for myself.

Don't be mad get glad. It always sounds like the easy answer that won't really happen, but you can definitely fool yourself into a good mood if you try hard enough. And why not, people may say you're in denial or hiding things to not confront them, but why not be happy when you can, bad things will likely happen sometime, and you might as well have something to look back on.

I feel like I haven't said anything tonight, but sometimes it's not the point.

No comments: