Sunday, January 09, 2005

Make sense of this

Do you ever find it funny that as we get older we enjoy things that make less and less sense? I mean of course as babies we start out being stimulated by basic colors and shapes, but those are all based on things that are pretty normal, and understandable. But as soon as we can, we begin to memorize songs, rhymes, and enjoy coloring pictures and watching TV shows that are based on sound logic, even if they do happen to use fictional characters that don't make a lot of sense (i.e. large purple dinosaurs, turtles that stand up and wield nunchakus).

Now as we get older, we start to enjoy things that are "deep" or that don't really make much sense (and believe me, if you asked a child about some of it they would think you were weird). People start to think they enjoy "abstract" art, which is basically justification of a crappy artist trying to play on our primitive childlike fascination with basic color and shape, but you are uncultured if you don't make up some other meaning behind their B.S. artwork.

This website is great. It is simple, plain, and serves a purpose, even if that purpose is to allow someone like me to rant and rave about bull hooey that doesn't matter to anyone :).

So is maturity linked to your ability to enjoy things that really suck? I only bring this up because I notice myself enjoying music that makes less and less sense, but is basic at it's core.

(SIDE NOTE): I've decided through my blog that I will refer to friends as 2 initials that either do or don't represent their actual names.

A good personal friend this summer "T.C." got me interested in a band called "The Postal Service", which is at its heart basic techno beats and tones, with very simple lyrics put over top to create an easy music project, the CD they released. The band put it together by sending each other tracks through the mail, which is the premise they used to name the band. So I enjoy this band, and now I've discovered the singer's main band, "Death Cab for Cutie", and I'm starting to enjoy that as well.

Does this satisfy some deeper need of mine? Does the music itself make me happier, or is it experiences I think of when I hear that music. Who knows, and who really cares. I just wonder why I can't sing "she'll be comin 'round the mountain when she comes" the rest of my life and play with my ninja turtle figures (I had them all by the way, everybody had at least one). That was way before we had to think if we were spending our time in useful ways.

P.S. for the day. Don't hate on people. That sucks.

1 comment:

Monogenes said...

Thanks, I'll probably explain it in a later post :).